A skin disorder that causes the skin to discolour is medically termed as Vitiligo. Anyone can spot a person suffering from this disease as the skin discolouration is prominent if happened over visible or exposed body parts like face, hands, feet, hair, etc. If you are suspicious about having this disease then prior to going to your physician you can yourself check for the symptoms. The disease initially starts with loss of your normal skin colour or lightens it than usual.
Causes of Vitiligo
There are many reasons for discolouration of skin but the main reason is low immune system. Immune system can be disturbed because of main reasons like improper diet, allergy reactions to particular foods, etc. Apart from this a person can also suffer from Vitiligo because of heredity. If any person in the family has suffered from this disease, then the chance of you having it increases. The third cause of occurrence of this disease is due to any accident. In some accidents, people lose their skin colour leaving that area white, known as Leucoderma.
Factors on which the treatment depends
The medical science has become very advanced and the ever going research has helped doctors discover some effective treatments for the skin condition of Vitiligo. These treatments are effective enough to bring back the skin colour of a patient. However these treatments depend upon a few factors which are:
- The age of the patient
- The type of Vitiligo condition
- The Skin condition
- Previous treatments if taken
- The affect of vaccination or medication
- Undergoing any current treatment
Various Treatments for defeating Vitiligo
There are number of treatments for Vitiligo patients depending upon the above mentioned factors. These treatments are effective because they produce melanin cells in the patient’s body. Melanin cells are responsible for bring back the skin colour in the patient. Let’s look at a few treatments that have proven to be very effective.
- L-Phenylalanine: The prescribed dosage of this medicine is supposed to be taken with the meal depending upon the strength of the patient.
- PUVA Treatment: PUVA treatment is a short form of Psoralen and long wavelength of UV light. With this treatment, the doctors try to strengthen the patient’s skin sensitivity. Prior to the treatment, the FDA approved psoralen drug is induced into the patient’s system. This drug increases the sensitivity of the patient’s skin to allow i to face light. The drug can be taken orally, through lotions or creams or by bath.
- Transplantation or Skin Grafts: Another way you can treat your Vitiligo skin condition is via skin graft surgery or transplantation. In this kind of surgery, experienced surgeons take the pigment producing cells called melanin from any other pigmented part of your body and inject it to the exposed discoloured part. In full disclosure, the treatment is very beneficial but has a disadvantage of leaving patches on your skin.
Along with these treatments, there are others like Tattooing, UVB and Psoralen Treatment, Picrorhiza, Ayurvedic or Allopathic treatment, etc. that have proven to be very beneficial in treating the Vitiligo skin condition.